Principal Backend Engineer - Europe (f/m/d)
Cervest is building the world's first open access AI-powered Climate Intelligence platform.
We’re a Certified B Corporation with a vision to build a climate intelligent world — one where everyone is able to use Climate Intelligence to adapt with climate change. By making Climate Intelligence open, democratised and transparent we will power a global Climate Intelligent Network™ that drives a chain reaction of climate intelligent decisions to protect the world’s critical assets, including our greatest asset — the planet.
Using our flagship EarthScanTM product, anyone can discover how current and future climate events such as flooding, droughts, and extreme temperatures will impact their assets. EarthScan helps our customers confidently de-risk decisions, meet financial disclosure needs and improve the resilience of the assets they own, manage or rely on.
As a company, we are a pro-diversity, highly inclusive organization, committed to bringing together people of all backgrounds and enabling them to succeed. We know that a richly diverse team will help us achieve our mission sooner.
What You’ll Do
- Architectural leadership: You will take lead on major technical and architectural decisions that impact how Cervest delivers value to our customers.
- Platformizing our technology: As our product line grows, we need to standardize and modularize how we deliver climate intelligence, so that we have a unified and streamlined technology footprint.
- Enterprise grade delivery: Our customers are massive organizations that rely on our data to make million dollar decisions. The technology you and the team deliver needs to handle this massive scale with maximal availability.
- People leadership and mentorship: As you design how our technology will evolve, you will be mentoring and supporting a broader set of engineers that deliver meaningful outcomes.
- Complex services design and engineering: To support the growth of the business, we need to solve the meta-problem: how do we architect our software to unlock our data’s value across numerous domains and interfaces.
- Work directly with Product and customer: Understanding the customer context for our technology is critical to optimally deliver value and ensure that we are meeting our customers' needs.
- Project execution and delivery: You will own initiatives from concept through delivery and subsequent operation. You’ll define what success looks like for your work, and then outperform those expectations
- Technology velocity: We are creating a category, and we are first to market. We will maintain and augment that lead only if our dev ecosystem is optimized. You will help define the vision of how engineering should work here!
What You've Done
- Strong industry experience: 12+ years of software industry experience, including management of engineering teams.
- Complex architectures: You’ve designed, implemented, and maintained platforms, engines, or frameworks that others have consumed. You’ve delivered APIs consumed by modern web applications, and you understand the complexities and nuances of microservices and databases.
- Cloud Experience: You have deep experience deploying apps and services to the cloud, and maintaining and evolving them.
- Modern backend expertise: You've built backend services and systems with languages like Python, Rust, or Go, and you understand the complexities and nuances of CRUD, Graph API, and microservices.
- Large scale delivery: It's hard building software, but even harder to maintain it, evolve it, and keep it awesome. You've done this for large-scale software and massive-scale data.
- CS fundamentals: You have earned at least a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent.
As a rapidly scaling company on a mission, we are committed to ensuring that we support our team in developing in line with their aspirations and talents as well as continuing to develop our culture in line with our values.
We are a remote-first company and are hiring across Europe, the USA and beyond. We are looking for a candidate who is comfortable working in a remote setting and with a diverse team distributed across multiple time zones. This job requires minimum travel for occasional regional or global team retreats only, using more sustainable transport methods (we’ll help with that) so generally within one time zone of the UK.
- 25 days’ holiday a year (plus 8 UK public holidays or local equivalent)
- The company closes between December 24th and January 1st, which typically gives an extra 3 days off each year (on top of your 25 days entitlement)
- Remote first company culture with flexible working hours
- Maternity, paternity, adoption or shared parental leave policies
- Every employee is given a plant of their choice
- £1000 a year learning budget towards personal and professional development
- 10% of your time can be used for projects that help us meet Cervest’s mission outside your day-to-day responsibilities
- £500 stipend to spend on your work from home setup (we’ll cover your laptop and peripherals such as a screen and keyboard - you will be able to choose between a Mac or PC)
- Paid sick leave for physical and mental health with access to Spill
- Virtual team and company activities such as pastry-making classes, mindfulness classes, coffee masterclasses and murder mysteries
- £1500 loan towards a bike through the Cycle to Work Scheme (available for UK employees)
Please contact us if you have a disability and need any adjustments to be made to the application or interview process
Years of experience
- Mid-senior level